Closing Date: April 6, 2020
The Academic Advisor position at Excelsior College is a direct student services position with an emphasis placed upon providing accurate, timely, quality service to admitted and enrolled students. The primary roles of this position are to provide student service to veterans through academic advisement, degree planning, course approval, student retention, and course approvals. Academic Advisors assist students in the developing an educational plan consistent with education and career goals and objectives. They are responsible for providing accurate information about institutional policies, procedures, resources and programs and serve as a student advocate by making referrals to Excelsior College services (e.g., career services, VA/financial aid), and other learning support services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise students in their consideration of educational goals by relating interests, skills, abilities and values to careers, the world of work, and the nature and purpose of higher education.
- Advise students in developing an educational plan consistent with life goals and objectives (alternative courses of action, alternate career considerations and selection of courses)
- Advise students in the decision-making process regarding their educational goals.
- Provide accurate information about institutional policies, procedures, resources and programs.
- Recommend Excelsior College courses and examinations to students to complete degree requirements.
- Advocate for students by making referrals to Excelsior College services (e.g., career services, VA/financial aid), and other learning support services.
- Prepare letters of recommendation, transient student letters, letters of good standing, etc.
- Advise students in initial and continuing evaluation of progress toward established goals and educational plans.
- Provide official approval for students’ proposed courses and examinations.
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Excellent organizational and decision making skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet academic deadlines.
- Ability to review/prepare accurate detailed documents.
- Ability to master a wide body of factual knowledge (e.g., academic and career options) with a high degree of accuracy and detail.
- Proficient computer literacy and willingness to learn new applications.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information at jobs.excelsior.edu/apply-ultipro: