Closing Date: November 26, 2018
The Director of the Center for Writing Excellence is a dynamic new position that will lead the activities of an active Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) Task Force to launch a new Center for Writing Excellence at Excelsior College. The Center for Writing Excellence will be unique in that it will serve adult students seeking to develop their professional and career readiness writing skills in an online environment. The Center for Writing Excellence will have the support of the Provost’s Office to advance this strategic college initiative. It will function with the Excelsior Online Writing Lab (OWL), an award-winning open education resource offering interactive, multimedia support for reading and writing.
The Director will lead the WAC Task Force in developing a strategic plan, college wide policies and procedures, faculty training, and writing-enriched courses. Additionally, the Director will collaborate with the OWL and other units to develop a WAC faculty certification course and conduct a pilot study to assess the efficacy of genre-based writing activities in writing-enriched courses.
This is a part-time temporary two-year position with a strong possibility of renewal. It is based at 7 Columbia Circle, Albany, NY. Travel is not required. The Director of the Center for Writing Excellence reports directly to the Provost.
* Develop a Center for Writing Excellence at Excelsior College in collaboration with the Provost’s Office, the Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) Task Force, and the Online Writing Lab (OWL).
* Lead the WAC Task Force and oversee the development of a strategic plan for WAC.
* Develop college wide policies and procedures for writing assessment, the use of online portfolios, faculty training, and integration of writing assignments into courses.
* Oversee the development, maintenance, and promotion of writing-enriched courses.
* Work with faculty across multiple degree programs to promote and develop scaffolded and genre-based writing assignments and best practices for writing assessment and feedback.
* Collaborate with the OWL to develop a WAC faculty training certificate featuring online training materials and assessments, and train 50 faculty over two years.
* Collaborate with the OWL to develop an open online repository featuring exemplars of student writing assignments, effective scaffolding approaches, and exemplars of substantive and meaningful feedback.
* Collaborate with the OWL to develop student resources for Writing in the Disciplines and other areas as needed.
* Coordinate a pilot study to assess the impact of WAC activities on writing-enriched courses using the AAC&U Writing VALUE Rubric.
* Conduct additional activities in consultation with the Provost to advance the Center for Writing Excellence and WAC initiatives at the college.
* An MA or higher in Composition/Rhetoric, English, Education, Instructional Technology, or a related field.
* At least three years’ experience working with writing across the curriculum and/or writing program administration.
* At least three years’ experience teaching writing at the college level with a record of strong teaching.
* Knowledge of current theories and best practices in writing instruction, writing assessment, writing program administration, and teaching writing online.
* Strong interpersonal communication and collaboration skills.
* A PhD or other terminal degree in Composition/Rhetoric, English, Education, Instructional Technology, or a related field.
* At least three years’ experience designing and teaching online writing courses with a record of strong teaching.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information at jobs.excelsior.edu/apply-ultipro: