Closing Date: October 29, 2020
The grant writer will be required to collaborate with multiple college-wide stakeholders to support the grant proposal writing process from the identification of opportunities through to development and submission. This position requires strong writing and oral communication skills, critical thinking and analytic skills, scientific knowledge if possible, and a high degree of competence and creativity. Must be able to work well under the pressure of managing multiple priorities and deadlines, strong organization skills and the ability to perform independently and as a team member. The position also requires in-depth knowledge of the current adult education market the ability to align opportunities to Excelsior’s strategic plan and growth goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
includes the following: Other duties may be assigned.
- Collaborates with grants group and relevant grant stakeholders to prepare grant proposals, including analyzing grant RFPs, determining concept, gathering and formatting information, writing drafts, and obtaining appropriate approvals.
- Supports the grant concept development by identifying and clarifying opportunities and needs, studying requests for proposal (RFPs) and attending strategy meetings.
- Meets proposal deadlines by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, approval, and transmittal.
- Enters and monitors tracking data.
- Coordinates requirements with contributors; provides proposal status updates at review meetings.
- Gathers proposal information by identifying sources, coordinating submissions and collections, and identifying and communicating risks associated with proposals.
- Develops and submits proposals by assembling information including project nature, objectives/outcomes/deliverables, implementation, methods, timetable, staffing, budget, standards of performance, and evaluation.
- Writes, revises, and edits drafts including executive summaries, conclusions, and organization credentials.
- Maintains quality results by using templates; following proposal-writing standards including readability, consistency, and tone; maintaining proposal support databases.
- Obtains approvals by reviewing proposals with key providers and project managers.
- Improves proposal-writing results by evaluating and re-designing processes, approaches, coordination, and boilerplates as needed.
- Accomplishes organizational goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments and grants efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Media or related field
- Minimum of 1-year experience in grant writing, prospect research, general fundraising for a minimum of 2 years or comparable and transferable skills acquired in a professional setting
- Experience with federal grant writing within the higher education sector preferred
- Dynamic written and oral communication skills
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to analyze, understand and execute complex instructions
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Advanced skills in graphic design, layout and technical documentation.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information at jobs.excelsior.edu/apply-ultipro: