Closing Date: January 30, 2019
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and a member of the executive team of the College, the Chief Technology Officer is a newly created role responsible for aligning the technology solutions and architecture utilizing prudent capital investments to meet the short-term and long-term needs of the College. The CTO leads a 40 person, $10M Technology and Facilities Services department, which includes IT strategic planning, IT disaster planning, web content management systems, planning and development of applications including Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), learning management system, network services, desktop computing, remote location computing access, telecommunications, help desk operations, and institution-wide technology governance and facilities operations.
The CTO will use information technology (IT) as a strategic differentiator to enhance the institution’s culture, mission, and strategies, particularly in the student experience, analytics, technical and operational excellence, as well as teaching and learning. The CTO will have the necessary skills to implement and lead a rapidly evolving IT department that serves a rapidly evolving adult student population as part of a leading edge, technically advanced online higher education institution. The candidate will embrace the digital transformation that will require innovation and change. The incumbent will champion change management within the IT department and assist with organizational change management College wide.
The ideal candidate will:
- Lead, Mentor, and Coach: collaboratively and actively lead the changing IT department as the institution moves from a legacy on premises environment to using more innovative cloud based technologies.
- Communicate: establish a collaborative environment where effective communication is used to understand the enterprise current state while envisioning the future state, communicating the vision, and collaborating within the IT department and across the institution, embracing feedback from the depth and breadth of the institution.
- Provide Strategic Vision: understanding the enterprise current state of the institution’s technology, assist in envisioning the future state by improving existing IT and business processes and leveraging innovative technologies in developing new means to create, deliver and assess academic programs and improve student and employee outcomes.
- Provide Technology Leadership: provide technology leadership in developing the future state enterprise architecture in an evolving environment that can accommodate new technologies and explore and exploit innovative initiatives that support the institution’s mission. Provide motivating positive leadership by improving existing IT and business processes and enabling the department to reach it’s potential. The CTO will develop the next level of the institution’s IT leaders by mentoring, coaching and working collaboratively to provide professional development opportunities.
- Represent IT: represent IT throughout the College by actively participating in cross-College work groups and meetings and ensuring that IT-related interests are well-represented.
- Minimum of a Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, Masters degree preferred.
Excellent communication skills and ability to provide leadership for academic and administrative stakeholders. Experience in online higher education preferred.
- A record of innovation with experience building and leading IT departments in a fast-paced, technologically innovative online environment.
- Ability to remain current in emerging IT trends with a focus on strategic planning and alignment.
- A minimum of fifteen years of progressively responsible experience in the IT field including budget development and management, with a significant portion leading an IT or related unit required.
- Experience managing technology vendors.
- Experience in implementing a cloud based Enterprise Resource Planning system or other large software systems is preferred. Change management skills desired.
- Experience in technology governance with extensive knowledge of IT legal and security issues, business continuity, and IT policy development.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information at jobs.excelsior.edu/apply-ultipro: