Closing Date: September 24, 2020
The Applications Developer is a member of the Applications Development Team within Technology and Facility Services. The team is responsible for the development and maintenance of enterprise wide software including the college’s application programming interface (API) layer, application integration platform, self-service applications on the college’s web site, and internal applications to support business processes.
The ideal candidate for the Applications Developer role is highly adaptable, flexible, excited to learn, able to manage multiple priorities, capable of working on a team, and is an excellent communicator while providing stellar customer service. This individual is responsible for writing custom software and working on a wide variety of aspects of the application development life cycle and for managing all details related to an assigned project. It is expected the Applications Developer will help create and conform to development practices like continuous integration, continuous deployment, system documentation standards, technical specifications, static code analysis, and test-driven development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write, analyze, review, and rewrite programs, using workflow chart and diagram, and applying knowledge of computer capabilities, subject matter, and symbolic logic.
- Work on a cross-functional team to understand and address College’s needs, develop and refine requirements and design and develop software to meet business objectives.
- Correct errors by making appropriate changes and rechecking the program to ensure that the desired results are produced.
- Consult with managerial, operational, and technical personnel to clarify program intent, identify problems, and suggest changes.
- Analyze, modify, and maintain moderately complex business processes and define application requirements.
- Write technical specifications and documentation.
- Prepare accurate time estimates for projects and manages tasks to meet deadlines.
- Perform object-oriented analysis and design.
- Develop, maintain, and test web-based applications.
- Support existing applications as needed.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from regionally accredited college or university.
- At least 1-2 years of experience in software design and development preferred.
- Proficient in Java and Web framework technologies preferred.
- Integration application experience implementing and/or developing RESTful web services and/or APIs preferred.
- Basic understanding of mini/microservices cloud architectures and cloud databases preferred.
- Hands on experience with integrated development environments tools such as Eclipse and web-based containers preferred.
- Test driven development experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills with experience working in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technology.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information at jobs.excelsior.edu/apply-ultipro: