Closing Date: January 25, 2021
Excelsior’s instructional faculty members come from a variety of backgrounds but are all selected for their expertise and their stature within their discipline.
The Masters of Science in Criminal Justice Degree will prepare students with the skills and the knowledge base to understand the impacts of the criminal justice system on our communities, states, the nation and internationally. The curriculum includes innovative courses that meld industry and practitioner-based reading with scientific-based research to create much needed subject matter experts in the field of Criminal Justice.
Excelsior College provides fully developed courses with materials and activities to allow the faculty to focus on the students. Instructional faculty are expected to create an effective and vibrant online learning community by maintaining a meaningful presence in courses 4 days per week. They should expect to provide prompt and substantive responses to student needs, offer timely formative feedback on student work, and demonstrate their subject matter expertise through constructive involvement with student discussions and learning activities. In addition, Excelsior looks for our instructional faculty to demonstrate a commitment to student success by supporting college engagement and retention initiatives, reaching out to struggling students and collaborating with faculty program directors and support staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adhere to all College and School of Graduate Studies policies as outlined in the Faculty Handbook.
- Teach and facilitate the course, making no changes to content or implementation guidelines.
- Develop familiarity with the learning management system and with support services available to students.
- Manage the on-line course(s), including course related communication, submission of grades and office hours.
- Create an effective, engaging and vibrant on-line learning community by maintaining a meaningful presence in courses.
- Provide prompt and substantive responses to student needs, offer timely formative feedback on student work and demonstrate subject matter expertise through constructive involvement with student discussions and learning activities.
- Keep the learning management system gradebook current.
- Complete a faculty course evaluation within one week of course term completion.
- Encourage students to complete Excelsior College on-line course evaluation.
- Notify Faculty Program Director if instructor has challenge meeting course obligations due to unforeseen issue, such as illness or emergency.
- Demonstrate commitment to student success through engagement with student success or retention initiatives.
- Other duties as outlined in the Instructional Faculty Agreement.
- Masters degree from an accredited college/university in Criminal Justice or related field.
- 5 years of directly related professional and/or research experience in the criminal justice field
- JD or Ph.D. in Criminal Justice.
- Experience teaching in higher education.
- On-line teaching experience.
- Commitment to the mission of Excelsior College.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information at jobs.excelsior.edu/apply-ultipro: