Closing Date: February 3, 2021
To teach at Excelsior College is to embrace teaching excellence and deliver outstanding instruction to our non-traditional students. Our instructional faculty empower students in gaining the knowledge and skills needed to become highly effective ethical public health practitioners and leaders. They embrace diverse ideas, promote critical thinking and solution-finding, and help students challenge their own thinking and form connections between research and practice.
Excelsiorˇs courses are fully developed with materials and activities to allow faculty to focus on their students. Instructional faculty are expected to create an effective and vibrant online learning community by maintaining a meaningful presence in courses at least 4 days per week. They provide prompt, substantive responses to student needs, offer timely formative feedback on student work that supports disciplinary learning, and actively share their expertise through constructive involvement with student discussions and learning activities. Biostatistics faculty help students build confidence in interpreting statistical data to inform practice.
Excelsior looks for our instructional faculty to demonstrate a commitment to student success by supporting college engagement and retention initiatives, reaching out to struggling students, and collaborating with faculty program directors and support staff to ensure students have access to all available services and supports.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adhere to all College and School of Graduate Studies policies as outlined in the Faculty Handbook.
- Teach assigned course, making no changes to content or implementation guidelines.
- Be familiar with the learning management system and all support services available to students.
- Manage the online course, including prompt course-related communication, timely grading, and office hours.
- Create an effective, engaged, and vibrant online learning community by maintaining a meaningful active presence in courses.
- Reach out to struggling students and notify Faculty Program Director as needed.
- Provide prompt and substantive responses to student needs, offer timely formative feedback on student work, and demonstrate their subject matter expertise in biostatistics through constructive involvement with student discussions/learning activities and sharing of expertise and experience.
- Complete a faculty course evaluation within one week of completion of the course term and share any recommendations for course continuous quality improvement.
- Encourage students to complete the Excelsior College online course evaluation.
- Notify the Faculty Program Director if instructor participation requirements cannot be met due to illness or emergency.
- Demonstrate a commitment to student success by supporting college engagement and retention initiatives.
- Other duties as outlined in the Instructional Faculty Agreement.
- PhD in a healthcare, public health, or closely related field. ABD will be considered.
- Minimum of 5 years experience with biostatistics or other health services research.
- At least one year higher education teaching experience.
- Significant experience using SPSS Software.
- Public health statistical or other health services research professional/leadership experience within the past 5 years.
- Higher education online teaching experience.
- Experience teaching biostatistics, particularly at the graduate level.
- Online course development experience.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information at jobs.excelsior.edu/apply-ultipro: